Tuesday, November 6, 2012


 It's that time of year again when pumpkins are being donated left and right.  Here there are two crates full of pumpkins just as you drive into the center.  We also have multiple pumpkins that were donated by students in Whittier as their service project.  In a week or so we will be doing Thanksgiving with the animals.  This is when we load up our tractor bucket full of pumpkins and dump them into each enclosure.  The animals go crazy for them!



I quickly stepped in with the lynx to catch a photo of Venetie.  They really seem to love hanging out on the balcony since they get the best views from there.

 I drove out to the point on my day off to get a good 360 view of the Chugach mountain range.  The sun was just peaking through.  Speaking of sunlight; we had the longest day of light until spring just a few days ago.  Adios sunlight!









All of our calves are getting so big!  I remember when these moose calves weighed only 40 pounds or so.  Now it seems that I have to do a dance to avoid them every time I go into feed them.  

 I also wanted to check out Portage Lake while the sun was out.  The Lake still isn't quite frozen enough to go out on yet.  It is at the top of my winter list to cross country ski out on the lake.  Or maybe ride my bike?

 Sarah, a dog I have been taking care of the past few weeks, was just waiting to go for our daily walk.  She will not let me forget to walk her....or I pay the consequences by having a very energetic dog at 10PM at night when I am getting ready for bed. 













I have been house sitting in Girdwood, and it sure is nice to have such beautiful scenery so close to me. 

Sarah and Sophie waiting for their nightly treats...

Today I am in the ticket booth.  It is a good day to blog and catch up on any emails or tv shows that I have missed. 

However, my day didn't quite start out like it should have.  We actually had an extra bear roaming the center this morning!  It wasn't one of ours.  It seemed to be a year or two old and couldn't figure out how to get out of the center.  Eventually, he made it out of the park. 

I am sure I will get some good photos emailed to me later....I will post in the next blog.

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin,

    I got your card & emailed you - hope you got it!

    Have a wonderful time here - Merry Christmas. :-)

    j.

    ReplyDelete