Saturday, April 13, 2013

Keeper for a Day

We couldn't have asked for a better day than to show 11 kids around the center what we do on a daily basis.

The age of the kids ranged from 3yrs-7yrs.  This year the size of the group doubled from last year!  I am excited that word is getting about about all of our programs.  After we walked the kids out to the brown bears and did a bit of training; we went to the barn and did a couple of different crafts.



One of the crafts that we did with the kids was make paper maches.  They were making these for our porcupine snickers.  It was really messy!  Good thing it was just flour and water!






DID I MENTION THAT IT WAS VERY MESSY!




 We also made bear pops.  We layed a variety of treats on the table and the kids would make their own bear popsicles.  We then put them in the freezer and will use these to feed to our Black bears through out the week.   We had celery, crackers, dog food, peanut butter, honey, peanuts, carrots, and then topped the mixtures off with snapple juice.   mmmmmmm those black bear are going to love these goodies.

 Today was an awesome day to spot Bald Eagles around our center.  I think we counted at least 5 or 6 different eagles.  This juvenile flew in and landed just above a mature Bald Eagle.  I don't think the adult eagle really appreciated his space being invaded by this younger eagle.
 Later, once the center was closed, the sun was still out and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to catch some more photos.  I rarely get to photo eagles perched this close together.  they were hanging around the brown bear enclosure hoping to catch some scraps.














Even the wood bison were photogenic today.  Usually when I approach them this close they run off.  They must have been thinking I was going to feed them or something.  This young female was getting closer and closer.  Notice her horns....she has her left one really worn down.  It is possible for bison to lose a horn.  However, since horns are permanent they do not grow them back if they lose them.

Tomorrow is my day off and I don't know what I am going to do.  If the weather stays beautiful like this I might just have to go on an adventure!

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

1 comment: