Monday, November 17, 2014

a different approach to conservation


Lately I have been asking myself; "am I doing my best in conserving the earth's animals?".

While I still love my job at the AWCC;  I have been wondering if there are also other animals I could be helping.

I have been picking up a new hobby in my down time.  I have really taken an interest in art ; more specifically acrylic painting.  I always thought being an artist meant you were good at drawing perfect portraits, or sitting in class and drawing a nude person.  What I didn't realize is that there are all types of art.  You can mix this with that and get a different combination each time.  I realize every painting is as unique as a thumbprint.  Everyone has their own combinations in art that they like to use.

So for the heck of it I started making "animal art portraits" .

I recently joined a website named " The Dodo"

https://www.thedodo.com

It is a good source for update news in the animal world.  I have a read a few concerning articles:

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=3705644897911403394#editor/target=post;postID=960817088519693694

Both the Elephants and Rhinos are suffering from one large concerning issue: the illegal ivory trade.
I felt suddenly like I wanted to draw an elephant.  The below picture is an attempt at taking on animal conservation from a new approach.  I also happen to have my very first art show going on at The Java Haus in Girdwood, Ak.  If the painting sells; 100% of the proceeds will go to "Save Elephant Foundation"

http://www.saveelephant.org

price: $200



When I read an article on a Northern White Rhino death I was shocked to hear that there are now only 6 Northern White Rhinos left in the world!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/10/141020-rhinoceros-death-suni-kenya-science-world-endangered-animals/

The next piece will also have 100% of the proceeds donated to: "Ol Pejeta Conservancy"

Price $100
1ftX2ft


These are just my first 2 conservation paintings.  If they don't sell.....well that won't stop me from trying to paint others.  This is something I am going to really put some sweat into for the time being.
I will keep you posted on how things are going in this animal art project. Until next time....

Goodnight Lower 48,
E and Z






No comments:

Post a Comment