Wednesday, December 2, 2015

hey there...i'm still here.

"  The Mountains are calling and I must go."- John Muir.

The quote I have lived by since April.  It has been a while since my fingers felt this familiar twinge of guilt from not typing up my latest adventures up here in the last frontier.  Last time I updated; what few people actually read this blog; I was working at the Alaska Zoo.  I had a great summer working as the Assistant Camp Coordinator there and had a wonderful group of people to work with.
 However one thing has always held my heart here in Alaska.  G.I.R.D.W.O.O.D.

I wasn't entirely thrilled on the idea of driving this winter to work on the Seward Highway; which by the way is the most dangerous highway in North America.

I felt as if fate stepped in and finally placed me where I belong.....right smack in the heart of Girdwood, AK.  I now work part time as a housekeeper through Glacier City Reality.
Simply put I clean private homes, condo rentals, and move outs for 3 days out of the week.
Ok enough said on that job. Self explanatory....  Moving on.  IT PAYS THE RENT.

My passion is working for Four Valleys Community Schools.  AKA -FVCS.
I am the Assistant Program Coordinator.  What is that?  Ok here goes the explanation then I will never type this long job description up again....

Girdwood- 45 minutes from Anchorage.  This means we don't have a shopping mall, movie theatre, sports complex, an actual grocery store (the mercantile in Girdwood doesn't really count)..... etc.
My job is to bring recreational, educational, and cultural programs to Girdwood.  I plan sports events, art classes, educational classes, and all kinds of classes really for our community.  The possibilities are endless for my job.

click here to see who I work for.

I have been living in Alaska for nearly 5 years now and I finally feel like I am where I belong.  Sure I have had great jobs working with animals on movie sets, training bears, bottle feeding musk ox calves,  getting chased around by moose and all kinds of fun things playing with animals.....However I also missed out on my personal goals.  I am still growing in both my personal interests and learning all kinds of things about myself.  Simply put I had no life out side of work.  I ate my feelings these last few years, was out of shape, tired all the time, and very stressed out!  Now I am back on track, healthier habits, establishing new goals, and becoming a better person.

Ok hopefully this explained a bit why I was gone for so long.  I had to clean my life up a bit these past few months.  I shed a few unhealthy pounds from work related stress,  got outside, and became the old Erin again.  I will get back on track writing blogs.
Just to inform anyone that actually reads this- stay tuned for new adventures, new recipes(vegan/vegetarian baking), and a new year.

cheers and Goodnight lower 48,


Erin and Zelda.


1 comment: