Friday, January 25, 2013

What's that bright thing shining in the sky?



Boy did I wake up to a nice surprise today...the sun is shining!  December and January in Portage, Ak; or any where in Alaska for that matter, are the darkest months out of the year.  On top of having the shortest days these past few month we have had so much rain.  When I would usually be able to step out my door into a few feet of snow; I find myself wearing my mukboots on a rainy day.
So today was a pleasant surprise to have a sunny day off.  I hopped in my truck and drove around the center to take advantage of the nice weather.  oh, and did I mention that it was also a warm 38 degrees...no seriously that is warm weather right now.

Normally I don't get very good photos of the musk ox herd because they are either too close to me or trying to charge me.


This photo shows the three senior females in the front  , with Slide our bull in the back.

Slide managed to get in this next photo.  I still can not imagine Walter, last summer's calf, getting this big!  You can really tell the size difference between the males and females just by comparing their horns.

 Look how big our 2 calves from this summer are!  I remember when Gilly and Nelson, who are now going on 2 years old were this size.  Soon enough we will be moving these 2 moose in with the other 3 moose.  Jack, billy, and Nelson, will have 2 knew roommates!


Even Patron, the 9 year old brown bear was sunbathing a bit today.

With the warm winter we have been having our bears have been up more than usual.  The rain also drives them out of their dens sometimes.







                              I also had fun visiting the lynx today.  Venetie and Kaltag were curious to see if  I had a special treat for them.  Sometimes we like to spray different scents in their enclosure.  They really like bath and body works scents.  I have a few extra from home that I brought back with me.



             
Goodnight lower 48,
ErIn










No comments:

Post a Comment