Sunday, March 29, 2015

minus 100 and starting a new journey

It has been too long since my last blog.  That itching feeling to type has been nagging at me all staycation.  yeah you heard me STAY-CATION.  Any mid 20 something year old will tell you its the definition of a vacation at home because your too broke to go anywhere.   Hey now I'm not complaining or anything.  I'm on day 3 of painting, binging on netflix, baking vegan blueberry dutch chocolate chip cookies (yes that is one type of cookie), and playing with dogs.  Sounds good to me!  Whenever you choose the path of animal husbandry you almost certainly hand over any future chances of owning nice things and traveling often. Oh the life of a keeper.....

Why am I on a staycation you ask?  That brings me to the "starting a new journey" part of the blog title.
I was recently offered a full time-seasonal position as a camp coordinator at the AK Zoo.  Starting April 1rst ; I will be an employee of the AK Zoo.  This job will focus mainly on summer camps and educating kids of all ages.  I won't be doing as much animal husbandry.  Wish me luck!
My family seems to be filled with teachers.  Who knows; maybe I will decide being a future Education Director is more my forte vs. being a curator one day.   My grandmother was a beautiful artist that loved teaching and talking about art.  My cousin, Lindsay, followed my grandmother's footsteps with her beautiful art creations and inspiring others through her work.  Both of my aunts are natural born teachers as well.  My mother was simply a teacher by being my mother.  I am sure more of my cousins will also become teachers.  ok onward from the sappy talk.  Let's talk Bison.

Minus 100.  The Wood Bison reintroduction project has been nearly completed at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.  On march 22-24th we loaded 100 bison onto conex containers.  The containers where then driven to the Anchorage International Airport.

photo courtesy of: Alaska Department of Fish and Game


 They were then flown on a C-130 to Shageluk, AK; where they were then released onto a few acres.  After they are acclimated to the area they will then be lead by alfalfa cubes to the Innoko area for their final destination.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150322/first-wood-bison-head-release-southwest-alaska

http://www.ktva.com/wood-bison-on-the-move-from-wildlife-center-to-the-wilds-of-alaska-707

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/wood-bison-returned-to-natural-habitat-for-first-time-in-100-years/31956846

On the last day of loading the bison the Lynden employees surprised us with a surprise fly over of the C-130 Plane with a load of 14 wood bison on it that we loaded earlier that morning!  It was truly a moment I will never forget.




photos courtesy of the awesome adventurer and my forever favorite photographer Doug Lindstrand.
He even flew out to Shageluk to get these photos when the doors releasing the bison were opened!

More photos of the Wood bison project hopefully coming soon!

So with this blog being typed it may very well be one of the last ones about the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.  I will continue to blog about my new work at The AK Zoo.  I also have a few future projects in mind that I want to get involved with and bounce ideas of the blog readers.  I do hope to have continued interest in this blog.

Speaking of other projects.  My very first artwork was displayed today in preparation for the annual Skimeister Auction.  It raises money for Challenge Alaska: an adaptive ski and snowboarding school.
Hope to see you there if you find yourself in Girdwood, AK!

Goodnight lower 48,

Erin and Zelda

AK Skimeister Challenge: Saturday, April 4th, 2015. ALL DAY EVENT


2015 AK Skimeister Challenge:

April 4th, 2014





No comments:

Post a Comment