Friday, April 24, 2015

Belugas and Bore tides


As I'm driving down the Seward highway listening to Milky Chance pandora station; I look to my left and see the amazing boretide coming in.  The bore tide wasn't the only thing arriving in the Turnagain Arm; soon following was the famous Cook Inlet Belugas.   No mom I didn't take a picture I was driving....

For more info. on our local Cook Inlet Beluga population check these sites out:

http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/protectedresources/whales/beluga.htm

http://www.defenders.org/beluga-whale/cook-inlet-beluga-whales

Now that things seem to be feeling more routine I feel it is time to catch you up........

I must admit it has been a bit of a transition going from riding four wheelers, playing with fox, getting chased by musk ox calves to driving an hour to work and not getting nearly as many animal encounters.

However,  I also get to hear wolves howling, coyotes yipping, watching polar bear swim, and working with a great education Team at the AK Zoo!  I learn so much every day!  I am probably annoying my friends with all my new animal facts.

I snapped some quick photos with my phone nearly 2 weeks ago when the animals were getting their new enrichment.

Enrichment is providing anything stimulating to an animal's environment that causes them to act as their wild counterparts, enhances the enclosure, and simply to cause the animal to think.

We give enrichment to our pets at home.  For example, bones to chew on, training our dogs, playing fetch, cat nip for the cats (and dogs if their name is Zelda), etc.....
The possibilities are endless.

Anyways; here are a few pics of the Amur tigers getting their new plastic (Tiger proof) toy.
Meet Kunali and Korol.  These are 2 brother Amur Tigers.  They represent their species and help educate guests about Tiger conservation.






Here these two lovely gentleman had just been let out of their den and are approaching their new enrichment.




 It seemed that the flatter toy proved to be more thought provoking than the red tubed toy.
They each took turns trying to pick it up in their mouth.






I am still learning how to tell them apart so pardon the lack of identification at the moment.










One of the brothers quickly chose the red tubed toy and went and found a nice place to lay and enjoy playing with it.


Meanwhile back at the flat toy......



hmmmmmm.......


how do I pick it up........




Maybe if I swat at it....




          Now I will stand on it.
                 I own you toy.
                  You are mine.







This strange looking blue concoction is also another form of enrichment that I got to make for the Polar Bears!

It is simply water with fruits topped with 2-3 drops of blue food dye.  This makes for 1 fun looking bear popsicle.

Again things like this make it more interesting for animals in captivity to get their food.  It causes them to think
"How can I get to that".
People need the same thing.  Imagine eating the same food every day, same time, and same way for your entire life!  Not enjoyable right? Well, same for animals.
Meet another new animal I get to learn about:  
Nickoli (spelling is probably not correct; actually I am certain that it is wrong)  the Snow Leopard.  
He is approaching his new toy as well.  

"I bet I haven't marked that yet?"

                                                                Just a little closer......
                                                                    Woah! It moved!

Ok one of the newest things I am still getting used to is watching marine animals right outside the offices.  Lyutyik- literally jumped into his pool as we were standing and talking.




 My turn for enrichment.

Once June gets here summer camps will pick up.  So in the meantime I am planning all the camps for the summer that I Was assigned.  I get to pick out, create, and learn new crafts that teach kids about animals!  How cool is that!
I hate to say it but Pinterest is sort of my best friend right now....


I had to have a sample of one of my crafts to show.
Yeah, I know it isn't Jade but this will have to do.....










It was really fun thinking how Jade looked when I was making this craft.








Can you tell I miss Snickers?

AT LEAST THIS ONE DOESN'T STINK.....OR HAVE 30,000 QUILLS.......

(Disclaimer:  This puppet is Snickers approved & No prickly porcupine were harmed in the making   of this puppet.)

With that being all said,
prickly porcupine and musky oxen,

Goodnight lower 48,
Erin and Zelda (her "looking stoic" look)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave! Hope your travels were safe and if you happen to have any fun Bird TLC auction photos I would love to show them off in the next blog :) giving you photo credit of course! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to shadow you at the zoo and Sarah at the AWCC...
    I have a room set up for you (and Sarah) if you come out to Naknek for fishing. You will have to share a room.. I have some floor space as well. :)

    ReplyDelete