Friday, December 2, 2011

Flat Stanley

 Well readers sorry for the absence.  Have you ever heard of Flat Stanley?  This is the second time I have been able to help out with a project called Flat Stanley.  Many kids in school seem to do this project.  They have a paper figure known as Stanley and then they take tuns getting pictures with Stanley all over the world.  I have to admit getting Flat Stanley sent to the wildlife center is a really unique place for Stanley to visit. 

In this case Stanley was able to meet with Gilly.  Gilly almost tried to eat Stanley, but don't worry readers Stanley escaped. 
 Next, Stanley headed over to help feed Jewelie.  Jewelie was more interested in her grean beans and grapes then eating Stanley. 
Last, but definitely not least, Stanley was introduced to Snickers.  Snickers is always happy to meet new people.  Snickers has been introduced to Stanley a few times. 
Stanley will be leaving for New York to share his adventures at the center to his classroom. 

We have 7 bears at the center and currently 5 of them are hibernating.  The brown bears are usually the first to hibernate.  Next, Uli the black bear will be hibernating until late March.  Kuma, the male black bear, will hibernate on and off all winter.  Last, we have our 2 Kodiak bear cubs.  The bear cubs are still awake.  They have never actually learned how to hibernate.  It will be interesting to see if they naturally learn to hibernate.  I think they will naturally learn.  We are feeding them less and less, it seems, every day.  They bears seem to be less active every day.  Doug Lindstrand was able to send me snap shots after I fed the cubs. 

Photo courtesy of Doug Lindstrand

Today, was my day day off.  I must say it was one of my favorite.  I skied for 6 straight hours!  I am very tired and yet I am excited to listen to some blue grass music tonight. 

Tomorrow, saturday, will be another day with the animals.  Who knows what the day will bring.  Well readers I guess you will wait and see!

Goodnight lower 48....and Hawaii,
ErIn




1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin,

    My name is Ben Omdal, I am a student at Gonzaga University and am doing a research project on wood bison reintroduction in Alaska. If at all possible, I was wondering if you could send me some brief info on the current status of the project and why it should be performed to bomdal@zagmail.gonzaga.edu.

    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete