Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter with a nice weather day...

 Whew...now that Easter at the wildlife center is over I can catch yall up on what has been going on these past few days.  I am gonna sleep good tonight...after dying eggs, feeding bears, stufing hundreds of eggs, puppet shows, and much more I am exhausted.

Well first thing is first, we always have Easter at the AWCC for anyone that wants to join.  We have an annual easter egg hunt, hot dog cookout, puppet show, and we even give our bears eggs!  So that brings me to my first point.  I dyed a total of 30 eggs for our 3 resident brown bears.  There was also an additional 4 eggs dyed for our lynx.  I didn't boil the lynx' eggs since they enjoy them raw.  Kelly Miller, our education director, also dyed an additional dozen for the big brown bears. 
 (Notice the cantaloupe in the back ground of the picture, that the lovely Kat Jacobs donated to Snickers and Jewelie)


So I made sure to give Snickers and Jewelie their special sweet treat ASAP.  I think Snickers enjoys cantaloupe...what do you think?

 Yesterday, I was running around with Kelly getting the barn set up for the Easter even.  We never know what the weather is gonna turn out to be on easter so we always prepare for wind and rain; which is what we got last year.  However, this year was supposed to be a beautiful Easter day....well I guess we will find out on Sunday.
 We also set up our puppet stage the day before.  We do a puppet show about an Easter porcupine just before we do an actual porcupine presentation. 
And of course, you probably know that Snickers is the Easter porcupine....He doesn't mind at all...especially when he gets an apple, cantaloupe, and peanuts!




Kelly also has her own chickens that she brought to the barn.  She brought 2 chickens out for the Easter event. 
 Remember how empty the barn looked earlier....well it filled up!  We had nearly 100 people show up for the event!  It was an awesome success! 
 We even had a special guest show up!  The Easter bunny came for a visit to the wildlife center!

 The weather was amazing!  I don't think there have been many Easters at the center with weather as good as this!  It was definitely one of my top Easters...the only thing that could put it at number 1 on my list is if my family were here with me. 













Since the weather was so great we moved our Easter egg hunt to the empty land we had.  We placed hundreds of eggs everywhere!  Kids were having a blast; while parents were having a tough time not falling through the snow as the top layer was thawing because of the sun. 
 Yes, of course I had to get my picture with the Easter Bunny is such a gorgeous location!

 We then loaded everyone up with candy and hotdogs!  Later, we stuffed our hayride full of kids on sugar highs to go watch us throw eggs to our bears and lynx.  Jonathan even had to go grab our shuttle bus since we had so many people for the hayride.
 The bears were waiting for their Easter eggs....
 Jonathan and I stated chucking eggs all around the enclosure so that the bears didn't argue over who got which eggs. 
 We loaded everyone back up to top of the hayride with seeing the lynx get their eggs.

Kat's mom even donated some beautiful books and puppets to use for our Golden Eggs.  I had 4 golden eggs hidden during the Easter egg hunt that had a certificate in them saying they found a golden egg.  I used the donated Easter gifts as the prizes.  Thank you Mrs. Jacobs for the prizes!!!!


Happy Easter from everyone at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center!  Goodnight Lower 48!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment