Saturday, June 9, 2012

I'm on a boat!


 It's time for another intern field trip!  Last week, yes I know I am that far behind in blogging, we loaded up the yukon and drove down to Seward, AK for a day cruise.  We could not have picked a better day!  The sun was out and the temperature was warming up.  As soon as we stepped out onto the dock I knew it was going to be a nice peaceful day at sea. 
 The weather this past week seemed to be about 50/50 between rain and sun.  The one day of sun we get sure dos make up for the four previous day of rain. 










Our day cruise was not only filled with sea life; but a few land mammals as well.  We spotted a nanny and her kid about 100 yards up a mountain from the shore line. 

 One of the most exciting things about this cruise was the orcas that we spotted.  This particular pod happend to be feeding as we were watching them close by.  This was my fourth time to do the sea life cruise in Seward and never have I been able to see them as up close and for as long as we did on this day. 
 I changed my camera setting to get a few black and white shots....
 I even managed to snap just in time to see one surface!












There were lots of glaciers along the way.....

A few days later at work Doug Lindstrand jumped in with Sarah and I to take a few snapshots of the bottle feedings. 
                                                  photo courtesy of Doug Lindstrand

Sarah had a fan club hanging around her.














Photo Courtesy of Doug Lindstrand

While Sarah was distracting the others I thought I would try to feed Sully.  Sully was attacked by dogs at just a few days old.  We are still keeping a close eye on him since he needs to gain a bit more weight.  His wounds are healing up very nicely. 
                                                 photo courtesy of Doug Lindstrand
 Before I headed out I had to say goodbye to the man who holds my heart.  Walter is getting so big!  He must about 60 pounds now!  He was only a 20 pound, day old, little guy when we started raising him.  How fast they grow!  Well I am very sleep deprived and probably have a 4AM Feeding of some type of critter.....Goodnight lower 48, ErIn
                                                Photo Courtesy of Doug Lindstrand

No comments:

Post a Comment