Saturday, June 2, 2012


 Day off!  First field trip of the year!  Thursday, the 31rst, a group of us went on the 26 Glacier Cruise out of Whittier,AK.  It was a rainy day.  However, once the ship left the docks the weather seemed to really clear up.  These two gals on the right are some really great interns at the center.  Sarah Howard, on the left is a third year returner.  Nicki Pinnell, on the right, is returner for her second summer at the center.  These 2 girls are going to be really fun to hang out with this summer!
 Kate and Nikki were also on the cruise.  Kate, next to me, is from Michigan; and Nikki has done work in Antarctica....which I think is really cool!

 Here is a pic of our whole group.  MT at the end of the table on the right is a cook at the center.  This is his third summer at the center.  He has also worked in Antarctica in the past. 









Some of the popular sea life that we usually see in this cruise are sea otters.  Sea otters can reach up to 5 feet long and weigh up to one hundred pounds!
 

 This little guy on the right was just jumping into the water as I snapped this pic. 
 Earlier in the week when I did that private boat cruise presentation I met the captain.  He was also the captain of this cruise as well.  He even invited us to stop by the Wheel house if we were interested.  Of course we had to stop by! 









Just some scenic shots along the way....




Our group stepped outside to get a group shot.  

 We also saw three mountain goats way up on a mountain.












This rookery is one of the last stops along the cruise route.  It is common to see a bald eagle hanging around to try and snatch a gull or two. 

Yesterday I also had the day off.  Kate, Claire, and I rode our bikes to portage lodge for some delicious grilled cheese sandwiches with criss cross fries.  This part of the 6 mile trail is my favorite spot.  It is called the enchanted forest.  The way the moss grows everywhere makes it seem like another planet almost.  This picture definitely does not do this spot justice. 

Well it's almost midnight and Sarah and I have a moose feeding coming up.  Now that there are 3 of these little guys it definitely makes it easier to have 2 people available for the feedings. 


Well it's almost midnight and Sarah and I have a moose feeding coming up.  Now that there are 3 of these little guys it definitely makes it easier to have 2 people available for the feedings. 
 Thought I would leave the readers with a few pictures from today's daily feedings...

On my way to give these hooligans another bottle :)

                                       Nicki giving Hammond one of his bottles today....


Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

1 comment:

  1. Loved that cruise! My friend & I took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to get there. So amazing! As we were watching the glaciers calve, black bear fishing for salmon, and sea lions & sea otters lounging around, we were marveling that just barely 12 hours earlier, we were on a plane coming from sunny Honolulu. I still have my souvenir t-shirt, too. One of the definite highlights of our 10-day trip, that's for certain!

    ReplyDelete