Wednesday, May 30, 2012



Well in between the rainy days we have managed to have a few spots of dry weather.  This past week has been jam packed full of events.  On Friday, I went to Whittier,AK and hopped on a 4 hour day cruise.  I did a quick 20 minute speal about  the wildlife center.  I must say I did not mind doing a little bit of glacier sight seeing....even if it was raining.
This glacier posted above and below is called Black Stone glacier.  There was even a bit of wildlife hanging around.

 We were able to spot a Harbor Seal and her pup taking a break on a chunk of ice. 






 Finally the sun was able to make an appearance!  On Labor Day we had a perfect day for gardening.  These two gals posted on the right are a great addition to our intern program. 
 Kate, from Michigan, is on the left; and then Claire is from Hawaii, on the right in this photo.









I even took a quick photo of the lovely Kat Jacobs walking her boo, Hershey the reindeer. 




 Unfortunately the gardening project did not last long for me.  However, I was able to spend the rest of the day with Sarah.  Sarah is a third year returning intern.  I am very excited to be working with her again.  In fact, I will be interning with her tomorrow...woo hoo!

Anyways, back on schedule, so we got a call that we needed to pick up about 12 pallets full of donated meat!  We quickly jumped in the flat bed and drove all the way to Wasilla.  We then spent another hour loading up the flatbed.  As we noticed that the donation was piling up very high; I had to purchase another freezer to store all the meat.  Sarah and I were mentally exhausted from the stress caused by the drive back.  We were both worried that we almost had to  much weight on the flat bed.  However; all ended well.  At the end of the day the bears were getting sirloins, filet mignon, and other prime cuts. 


 Once we got to the center we both felt like a load was lifted off of our shoulders.





 I could definitely have taken a nap!

Well it is 2AM my time and I have to go bottle feed three moose calve soon.  Oh by way; Claire, Nicole, and I just got back from Soldotna with 2 more moose calves to raise with Sullivan.  Did I even mention Sullivan AKA Sully?  We got Sully about 8 days ago.  He was attacked by dogs and needed some basic medical attention.  He is doing better and better every day.  So back to the 2 moose.....We are now bottle raising 3 moose, 2 musk ox, and I may or may not have purchased 2 chickens for my own personal hobby.  Tomorrow I will take some snap shots of Boca and Tofu (my chicken's names) and introduce my readers to them.  I suppose I could even photo thee 3 calves along with Walter and Hammond.

Toodle Loo and Goodnight Lower 48
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment