Monday, September 19, 2011

Deer Escape!

Yesterday was B-E-A-UTIFUL DAY!  I woke up to a nice rainless day finally!  As the day went on it continued to get nicer.  The cloud coverage has been very low on the clear days.  I went to work at 9 AM and with in the hour you could see the difference in how the fog came rolling in....

Here it comes creeping slowly in....

Now this is what it looked like with in 30 minuets or so.  You can see the fresh snow at the top of the mountain. 

After feeding the moose calves I did the walk around the bear enclosure to check the hot fence and make sure they are not digging any holes.  I came around the corner and this is the view of the bison pasture from the back of the bear enclosure....And to think, that this picture doesn't even do the actual scenery justice!  This morning was a very interesting morning.  I was walking back to the kitchen and noticed there was a small crowd around our sitka black tailed deer's enclosure.  As I got nearer I also noticed that there were reindeer in with our sitka deer!  Hershey, our dominant male caribou got his antlers tangled in the wire fence.  This resulted in him accidentally tearing Jewelies fence down.  Mike, our executive director, had to quickly fix the fence before the caribou/reindeer hurt jewelie.  They are in rut so they are VERY aggresive.  In the end Mike was able to herd jewelie into her area and I helped him fix the fence.  However, this was not the end of the morning craziness.  After leaving Jewelie's enclosure someone left the gate open....I am not going to name names, (Mike Miller), but Jewelie just simply walked out into the open.  Luckily we had people help lead her back to the area of her gate and then picked her up to put back in.  So finally I was able to get right back on track of my daily chores.   

We are expecting our first freeze any day now so I wanted to take advantage of the gorgeous day and do a little Gardening.  Our garden hadn't been weeded in FOREVER!  I picked a tub full of lettuce for Jewelie and snickers!  I then spent about 3 more hours just weeding the garden.  I actually enjoyed getting my hands a little dirty on such a nice day. 
These are our remaining lettuce heads after I pulled most of them out. 
At 1PM I did a porcupine presentation with snickers.  He loved getting his corn on the cobb.  He also loved the fresh lettuce I picked for him.


I had a great end of my day when I learned a new skill to add to my resume...


No comments:

Post a Comment