Thursday, November 10, 2011

icecicles

I have been keeping an eye on one side of our giftstore.  I have noticed in one spot in particular the icecicles seem to be curling.  This may be nothing impressive for a typical alaskan, however, for someone that never sees icecicles it seems extraordinary!  I think I may have to start an entire photo album of the different icecicles I see this winter

 This is the spot where the icecicles are so long tht they have begun to curl!


 Today was a very windy day at the center.  If any animals didn't have snow on their face I would have been shocked.  When I went to feed the calves their morning grain I noticed that Gilly was just covered in snow....typical Gilly.   We will also start halter training the calves in the next few days.  This will be helpful if we ever need to use them for filming, or simply to load into a trailer.  I am looking forward to learning how to train a moose.....can't be much different than a camel I once trained right?  
 The bison love this weather.  I think they get the most excited on days like this.  Today I watched the young bulls just run around and fight each other.  They are always very energetic when we have wind and snow.  This male in this picture was just enjoying a nap.
 The musk ox where grazing on their daily hay.  Mukluk, the orphaned musk ox, was sitting right next to the heard also enjoying the sun peaking out of the clouds. 
 Here is an older female that was laying nearby also enjoying the weather. 
 As I drove around the center I was able to catch a young bison nursing from its mother.   It is hard to believe that this calf is only from this summer's batch!

A few days ago Doug Lindstrand took this picture just after Jonathan and I had fed the Wood Bison.  What you don't know about this picture was that 10 minutes before I got the four wheeler stuck in the snow!  I guess the snow machines will be coming out soon. 
Goodnight Lower 48...and Hawaii
ErIn

1 comment:

  1. :-)

    Well, it's 77º here & GORGEOUS... but I'd rather be looking @ a moose with snow on his face. How cool is that? ;-) I'm wondering now if Gilly isn't a relative of the moose that 'kissed' me when I was there in '09. He seems to like to stick his face into the camera, too!

    Those are some SERIOUS icicles. Just don't be standing underneath one when it breaks off...

    ReplyDelete