Saturday, November 19, 2011

Now that's cold!

 These past few days I have felt what is like to be a real alaskan.  When I arrived in February the coldest temperture I experienced was about -10 degrees.  We had a warm winter last winter.  Now, however, this month is colder than a typical November I hear.  Today it was -18 degrees!  Now that's COLD!!!!  On wednesday we were supposed to use our 3 year old bull moose for filming a movie scene.  However, it was so cold that they had to actually push filming back a day. 


On my last day off I took this picture just as the sun was setting.  I loved the color of the sky.
 Purple is, and always will be, my favorite color.  The sunsets in Alaska always surprise me.  I have yet to get used to the beautiful colors in the skies of alaska. 
 In order to get Jack ready for filming I had to go in with him a few times a day.  He needed to get comfortable with walking in and out of the trailer.  Of course, I had to take this opportunity to get a snapshot with him.
 On every wednesday in November Jonathan and I have an hour to do some sort of presentation at Girdwood Elementary School.  This past wednesday we used Snickers for a presentation.  We taught kids ages 3-9 about porcupines.  After Snickers made his debut we gave every kid some playdo to make their own porcupine.  Then they used spaghetti to represent quills on their porcupines.  This coming wednesday we will be teaching about insulation animals have in Alaska. 
Friday it was time to use Jack for filming.  Mike and Matt went to Anchorage around noon with Jack.  Even though filming wasn't until at least 5ish Jack needed to get used to his surroundings.  Jonathan, Jeremy, and I headed into Anchorage around 2pm.  We then froze our limbs off until filming started around 4:30pm.  The excitement kept any of us from thinking logically about staying warm.  Jack is behind us in the trailer. 
Jack did very well in filming.  He was even in a scene with Vanessa Hudgens! 
Here I am trying to get Jack back into the trailer after filming was over.  Of course it was easier getting him out than in.  Eventually tangerines, bananas, grain, and a pie pumpkin was his treat once he got back into his trailer. 
I am very excited to get to start training our younger moose, Gilly and Nelson.  We need them to be able to be comfortable with filming if they are needed. 
 Goodnight Lower 48!
ErIn

2 comments:

  1. Neat! Did you get a picture of Vanessa & Jack? That would be a real memorable photo. :-)

    I got "Moose Xing" mail today !!! and you have mail leaving Hawaii this Monday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic of the moose butting heads with you. I'd hate to have one of them coming at me when they are mad!

    ReplyDelete