Sunday, November 13, 2011

What a Day!

First things first, I must correct my spelling error.  I spelled icecicles wrong.  You must forgive a texan that never has had to spell this word before.  The correct way is icicles...there I feel so much better for fixing that mistake.
We have had some snow these past few days!
Yesterday we had 6 inches of this fluffy white stuff called snow. 

I wanted to get some good photos with the snowflakes.  I first ran into Doug Lindstrand who was able to get some photos with me and snickers, our porcupine.  I also wanted to get a photo of Doug in action so that the blog readers could see who is taking these amazing photos that I occasionally post. 

The elk were just behind snickers.  I walked onto our observation deck and was able to get some good upclose photos of the elk. 

I have to go in with Jack, our 3 year old Bull moose, in order to get him used to me.  We are using him for filming on Wednesday.  He needs to be comfortable with going into the trailer.  I have been going in a couple of times a day and giving him his favorite food...BANANAS!






The big bears were also awake for a short time.  Mike, the executive director, went in on his four wheeler and dropped off some hay.  They love to use this for their den.  Patron was pulling the hay into her den when I pulled up. 

Last night we had an owling event at the center.  Kids came to the center to learn about the different owls in Alaska.  Then they went around the center playing owl sounds to try and hear if any owls replied back.  We did happen to hear 2 owls possibly 3.  2 of the 3 owls were Hooty and Snappy; the owls that live at the center.  Then we went back to the barn for Hot Chocolate.  Earlier in the day, Jonathan placed a fake owl in the tree just as an example for what the owls would look like in the trees. 

Today, Sunday, we had a busy day!  We actually got to help assist in the spaying and neutering of our Kodiac bear cubs;Taquka and Shaguyik!  I didn't want to post pictures just yet.  I think I may be able to get some really good photos from friends.  Until then I will leave my readers with this last photo.  This was the sunset at around 4:45ish.  It is starting to actually feel like winter with the shorter days.  At 6 PM tonight it was completely dark!  Riding around on the four wheelers and feeding bison felt like it was midnight!  I also start to feel sleepier sooner.  I guess I am getting ready for hibernation as well.

 
Goodnight Lower 48...and Hawaii, ErIn
P.S. Thanks to Mrs. Sharon for the awesome Poem about icicles...I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment