Saturday, March 17, 2012

PLayFuL BEaRs and a climbing porcupine

 annnnnnnnd que song "Such a Beautiful morning....."


 spotted a pair of bald eagles hanging around the center on my way to work.
With all the snow we have recently had the trees looked especially stunning today.  Remnants, like these trees, are a continual reminder of the earthquake that happened in 1964.  The earthquake caused the ground to sink 10 feet.   














Snickers was sunbathing from a very scenic spot in his tree.  Tomorrow I will be remodeling his enclosure so he has fresh browse to chew on.  His incisors are getting a little too long.  He just needs more things to chew on to help file them back down. 


He may even need to go on a diet.  However, with the nice weather we have been getting he has become much more active.  I imagine he will shed a few pounds before summer arrives.  He will also be shedding a lot of his winter layer of fur. 














You can even see hair on Jack's back that he has shed in this warmer weather.
 As I was visiting with Jack I wondered where Gilly and Nelson were.  They were laying in the farthest corner possible.  I wondered if they would come when I called their name.
I yelled their names from the observation and they looked up.  Then I called again....they started running over to the observation deck!

 Gilly was the goofy one in the front running as fast as he could. 
Good thing Matt, an employee, had just cut them fresh browse.  I am out of bananas at the moment.  They were very excited to see that they had some fresh cottonwood to chew on. 















The bears were especially playful today.  They kept pulling branches off of a spruce in their enclosure.  Taquka was rolling around with his piece; while Shaggy was playing in the snow.
 Taquka just enjoying the sunny weather....
 The bears are still not eating as much so I just gave them a snack today.  They would just rather have fun and roll around with the spruce limbs anyway.
It's supposed to be another nice tomorrow...Can't wait!
Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

1 comment: