Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bear Boardwalk

 Today finally felt like spring is here.  It was a warm 32 degrees.  I was even able to shed a layer of clothes because it is getting warmer.  Normally this time of year the snow would just about be gone.  Looking at these pictures you may notice that we have a bit more snow still than normal. 

I went to visit the cubs just before I fed them.  Shaggy and Taquka thought they were getting fed so they ran over to see if I had any thing for them.  Earlier, to wake them up, I gave them pop sicles with dog food in them. 
 Shaggy tends to hang around while Taquka has a short attention span and runs off to roll around in the snow. 















I was getting all the radios together to see what we have that works and doesn't work.  I headed over to Roselyn, across the street, where we cut brush in the summer.  Roselyn is a series of dry cabins where the only other residents of Portage live.  Here is the road to the cabins....



 As I was taking a nice stroll around the center I watched a bull wood bison chew on a spruce tree.  There is only one tree in the enclosure and there is always a bison chewing on the bark. 







Then I continued on my way to see the musk ox.

 This female musk ox decided to try and charge me through the fence.  I guess I wouldn't want people taking pictures of me eat either. 

 Mukluk was also eating some haylage but I couldn't get her to turn around.  She has definitely lost her friendliness that she once had when we still had her separated from the herd.  She does not want to be given attention anymore.  It is a good thing though that she will be able to hang with the adult musk ox.  She tends to hang out the most with the dominant bull named slide.   






We have started building our bear boardwalk out by our 3 resident brown bears.  The boardwalk is set to open officially on May 15th.  It is amazing how fast the work is getting done.  They have added the railings and continue to make the boardwalk longer by the day!  I cannot wait till it is officially open.  This boardwalk has been in the making for a few years and will be done very soon.  It is also just a fraction of the ultimate finished project.  We eventually want to have a bear learning center where there will also be indoor viewing for guests; along with rooms for presentations and programs.  
Well lower 48, I have the next 2 days off.  I hope this blog will get ya by for the next few days.  In the meantime....Goodnight Lower 48!     -Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment