Wednesday, August 3, 2011

6 months, a birthday, and some camping

here is a little clip of Taquka in training.....

Let me catch my readers up....

Let's start at 3 days ago....

A nice normal day at the center......started off with feeding the moose calves. 


Next, we decided to walk the reindeer....yes, that's what I said....the reindeer.  Hershey, the reindeer, needs to be walked 2 times a day.  I finally was able to walk him myself!  I never have walked him until this day.  He did very well, and just in case he gets antsy we have treats for him.  He likes bread, apples, and carrots. 


Later, I had to go pull a few hours over at the bears. 

Patron was passed out in front of the cabin....They were fed a road kill moose carcass a few days ago and she is still sleeping off the big meal...

I ended with another behind the scenes tour for a couple of people.  I had to go home and get packing for Homer,AK!

We headed out to homer on Monday night after work.  It is about 3.5 hours away from Portage.  Homer is the capital for Halibut fishing.  It is also the town where one of the boats from deadliest catch, the Time Bandit, docks out of. 

Driving out to our campsite we knew it was going to be a rainy next few days....but that didn't bother me at all.  We camped out on the spit.  Which is basically a piece of land that is just narrow enough for a few shops and a beach to camp along. 


When we got there we parked the car at our campsite and went to dinner at the Salty Dog.  The Salty Dog is a famous restaurant/Bar that is a historical landmark.  It used to be a lighthouse.  It's tradition to leave a dollar bill on the wall somewhere....I forgot to do that ;( 

After the salty Dog we camped out for the rest of the night. 

There was a pair of Bald eagles along the beach that we spotted when we were walking.


The next day was a very nice and relaxing day.  We had absolutely no plans and that was fine by me.  When we woke up we had an enormous breakfast that was delicious.  I had a king crab omelet....yummy!  For the rest of the day we walked around Homer on the Spit and just enjoyed taking in the scenery.  For dinner we had really good oven baked pizza before calling it a night and heading back to the campsite to listen to music. 

There is also a memorial to all the lives lost at sea.



Wednesday we headed back to Portage and now I am finally able to check my facebook and make all the phone calls that I needed to make.  I had an awesome birthday just hanging out with friends in Homer and camping.  It has been 6 months as of August 1rst that I have been here!  It has gone by so fast!  I am now staying until Decmber 15th!  A 3 month internship has turned into 10 months and getting a full time job helping out until december.  I can not wait to see what else comes next....Next adventure...Tomorrow we are going to the Musk Ox farm in Palmer,AK.....stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment