Friday, August 12, 2011

A few videos

I started my Wednesday off with a nice walk around the 18 acre bear enclosure....such a beautiful day!


Patron was already waiting for her morning snack of hotdogs and reindeer dogs. 

Hugo and Joe Boxer were hanging out as usual.

Thursday morning I also had the AM bear shift.  I even had a few staff members from the sealife center in Seward visit for a behind the scenes tour.  It was just as beautiful yesterday as it was on Wednesday.  However, we did have wind all day long....which still beats the mosquitoes.









I posted a few videos in the past couple of days....This first one is the latest update of Gilly and Nelson
http://youtu.be/CQ1aE8nATSc


We had a really busy day full of running around with the sealife center employees.  There were only 2 interns working yesterday, but we still managed to get all the animals fed and cleaned.  Joe Boxer was following me around the bear enclosure as I was walking it at 5pm to check for any holes. 


Today, Friday, I fed the moose calves at 8AM and they were ready for their bottles.  They are now getting 32oz. 5 times a day!  This is Nelson that is looking at the camera and Gilly is in the background. 

Now Gilly came over to check out what we were up to.

This is Gilly.  He still has his orange coat that the younger calves have.  He will probably be all brown with in a week.  He is shedding it like crazy!

We have been keeping an eye on patron's nose.  About a week ago we noticed that she had a single porcupine quill in her nose.  I know, how does a bear only get 1 quill?  Well, it was definitely a quill.  Eventually, it either fell out or has burrowed itself completely into her nose.  Either way, we are keeping a close eye on it for any signs of an infection.  She seems to be doing fine. 

uys I only had to work one day.  So as I headed home I stopped by to visit with one of the maintenance guys dog...mazzie. 



 As I end my blog for the night; I will leave you with a video to check out if you haven't already seen it.
This second one is the bear cub update
http://youtu.be/4JA4TbX763o

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn




No comments:

Post a Comment