Saturday, February 25, 2012

and....we are open!

woo....it has been a busy past couple of days.  Jonathan and I did 2 days worth of school presentations back to back with Snickers the porcupine.  2 Days may not seem like a lot....however, we did have about a 3 hour gap between presentations in anchorage on wednesday.  So we decided to see a movie between presentations.  Snickers decided to take a nap while we saw the movie. 

 Wednesday night we had our first family night presentation at Mt. View Elementary in anchorage.  They fed us pizza and cookies for volunteering.  It was a fun presentation.  Basically, we set up 2 tables for an hour and just hung around answering questions while snickers looked pretty for everyone....I guess I should say handsome.

Jonathan was hanging out at the table with all our porcupine information.  I was keeping snicker's food supply stocked.  We would switch tables every so often.

The booth to our right was a booth from the museum.  They had a mammoth painting hanging up where the kids would use a spear representing how the hunters hunted mammoths.  Jonathan snuck over and even attempted to use the spear. 

 We decided to take the opportunity to pose for a picture.  It seems we can never booth be in the same picture at once since one of us is always talking while the other takes the picture. 

You can see on the table we had a variety of treats to keep snickers busy.  That night he had carrots, oranges, an apple....and of course peanuts. 

I think he is even working on a few peanuts in this picture.


Today, Saturday, was the first weekend we have been opened this year.   What a nice and lovely day to open on as well.  I have gotten so much done today.  I mega cleaned out Jewelie's enclosure.  Everything is finally starting to thaw out.  I wanted to clean Jewelie's enclosure while the wind and rain were away finally.  The reindeer were checking out all the action going on around Jewelie.

Since it is February you can see that the reindeer have all shed their antlers.  Except one.....
 Burt!  I mentioned a few months ago when we got Burt in December that he is a steer.  He will not shed his antlers till much later than the other reindeer.  Burt will be turning 5 years old this year.

A bus should be arriving to the center any minute now!  My first bus tour of the year!  I just hope they don't think I smell too bad since I cleaned snicker's enclosure out earlier....

Goodnight Lower 48,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment