Saturday, February 4, 2012

Back in AK!

Well 6 weeks sure does go by fast. 

I returned just in time for a huge snow storm.  I returned and started work on February 1rst; which made it exactly my 1 year anniversary for working at the center.  Last february I really didn't get to experience an alaskan winter compared to what we are getting this year.  We have had so much snow in a single night that the animals have literally walked out of their enclosures; don't worry none of them were bears.

Yesterday we had crazy amounts of snow just dumping on the center.  We also have to worry about the snowdrifts almost more than the actual snow.  When I went out to feed snickers today this is what his enclosure looked like....can you spot his house?
His house is about 1.5 feet deep, sort of in the area where you see Jack standing.  So I got my shovel and started digging....
yay! I found him!  He was nice and cozy in his house waiting for his food.
He refused to leave his house so I just placed his food bowl in his house.


 In the summer the moose would not really be able to look over snicker's enclosure this much. However, there is a foot or so of packed snow that they are standing on right now. If you notice how Jack in the picture has his ears pinned; this is because I was shoveling Snicker's enclosure out at the time. For some reason Jack doesn't realy like shovels. When working with animals as large as bears and moose you really need to be on the lookout for any strange behaviors. In moose, their ears pinned is a good sign that they are not very happy. Jack never did anything other than keep an eye on the shovel. People are constantly asking if I am scared to work with bears and moose. I have never felt that I was in a dangerous position. I think this is because when we are working with thse animals we leave at any sign of an animal being uncomfortable. You never want to make an animal so uncomfortable that they begin to feel threatened.
 Gilly and Nelson are now in the same enclosure as Jack.  I can't believe how much they have grown in only 6 weeks!  Again, you can get an idea of how much snow there is at the center.  If you have ever been to our observation deck you probably know that it is pretty high off the ground.  Here the moose calves are actually sticking their heads in the bridge to see me! 





I missed getting to walk outside and see views like this!
 Rick, our awesome maintenance man, has been plowing for hours on a daily basis.  Here is an average snow bank that you can find all around the center.  They also make great sledding hills!
 There are places by our giftstore where you could just about step up onto the roof!
I LOVE living in a place where I can walk outdoors and get pictures that you would find on postcards. 
I will try and start the blog up on a daily basis now that I am back at the center.  Our internet is very spotty so I can't promise that it will be everyday.  In fact we don't even have internet at our bunkhouse right now, so I have to blog at the giftstore.

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

2 comments:

  1. hi!,I like your writing so a lot! percentage we communicate more about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to see you.
    BCBGMAXAZRIA Women's Rita Ruched Pleat Dress with Cap Sleeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have AOL but you can find me on facebook. If you search: Erin Leighton you should be able to find me. Hope I can answer any questions you have. :)

    ReplyDelete