Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My first famous photo...or something like that

Remember those last 6 pictures I posted on my blog yesterday?  Well I posted one of them on the AWCC facebook page and our PR guy also passed it on to the local news!  I know its not that big of a deal; I am just really excited to have my first AWCC photo picked up by the news.  Here is the link to the local anchorage news website if you are interested:

http://www.adn.com/2012/02/21/2329582/bears-emerge-during-warm-days.html

Today was another beautiful day again!  2 in a row!  Also, I had another day off.  Typically I don't like taking consecutive days off because I feel like I have missed so much when I return.  However, next week Jonathan, the other intern, will be having his parents visiting.

I was excited to get out again and just walk around the center taking photos.  I haven't been to the observation deck in a while; so I decided to start there first.  I always enjoy the scenery from high up and looking across to see the mountains.  The moose calves saw me and came over to see if they could get anything.  Jack is in the very back eating grain.   



                 Gilly is the one in the front.  I think he will always be the smaller one of the 2. 
They also still have their ear tags in that Fish and Game tagged them with when they were first rescued.  I believe we will be able to remove them soon.  They were left in until we were absolutely positive that they were not going to be released back into the wild.  Now, they are to old to release back to the wild.  They are to used to human interaction.
 This is the scenery that I am talking about from the observation deck. 

You can see the bull wood bison in this photo.  We should be expecting calves in early spring again.  I remember how exciting it was to drive around the corner and spot the newborn calves.  Last spring we had 18 calves born.   I expect we will have at least 20 or so born this spring.  

 Driving just past our bunkhouse this is what it would look like.  I was leaving the bunkhouse after a lunch break and snapped this photo.









On sunny days, this time of year, we can almost expect for all of our bears to enjoy the nice sunny weather.  Kuma seems to be the most active of the 7 bears we have at our center.  He is always the last bear to start hibernation, and the first one to wake up.
 Once he realized I didn't have any food for him he just kept on walking
Man!  That's 2 blogs in a row!  If this nice weather keeps up I will even be able to post another blog soon.  Tomorrow we have a very long day in anchorage doing porcupine presentations.  I expect it will be too late to post a blog tomorrow night, but I will be sure to get photos of our presentations for the next blog.
Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment