Sunday, February 26, 2012

Yesterday, I blogged about how it was such a gorgeous day to be open.  Doug Lindstrand, an amazing photographer that always emails us his latest photos, also made it into the center yesterday.  The next six photos are the most recent photos he emailed us. 


 CUTE, CUTE, CUTE, CUTE, ........CUTE!!!!!
I love this picture!  Gilly and nelson must have been checking to see if Doug had any treats for them.  I am sure by now all the animals even recognize Doug. 

Today, I also went out to visit them.  I got some hair samples from all three moose for that ecological study I mentioned earlier. 

Today is not quite as pretty of a day.  However, I have yet to get sick of the scenery that I live in.                                                                                 photo: courtesy of Doug Lindstrand

The next 2 pictures really show how much snow we still have around the center.  A tour bus came in yesterday and still had a tough time turning the corners; even after our roads had been plowed in the morning. 
                                                      photo: courtesy of Doug Lindstrand
 Just one of many snowbanks that have built up from plowing all winter....
                                                       photo: courtesy of Doug Lindstrand

 The musk ox are looking very happy and healthy.  This summer, if any calves are born, we are going to be bottle raising the calves.  I am very excited to get to have a new experience working with animals.  I could put this up on the list with bottle feeding moose and porcupine. 









                      photo: courtesy of Doug Lindstrand
                    One of our bull musk ox...I would hate to run into this guy!
                                                   photo: courtesy of Doug Lindstrand


Construction of our bear boardwalk has officially begun!  They have started bringing in the pipes that will be put in the ground. 

I imagine once the noise really picks up with construction our bears will officially be done hibernating.  However, on a day like today, where we have had about 6 inches of snow over night they are still sleeping on and off all day. 
                                                                                       photo: courtesy of Doug Lindstrand


Today, my old room mate/co-worker Meredith spent part of her Sunday volunteering for a few hours.  It makes all the difference when I have extra help.  A task like cleaning out snickers house is made much easier when someone can distract him with food while I clean the house out.  Otherwise, snickers is climbing all over me while I am trying to clean the house.  Not only do I end up really stinky, but I do get nibbled on a bit out of curiosity. 

These next 2 photos Meredith fed Jewelie for me.  It was also nice to have an extra pair of hands to shovel a bit of the fresh snow away from the gate entrance. 



                                                    Thanks again Meredith for helping today! 
Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment