Tuesday, July 5, 2011

5 months!

It has officially been 5 months since I started my internship!  Whew time really does fly when your having fun!

My family had a great time while they were visiting me.  I was very sad to see them leave.  My two brothers are growing up so much!  One has grown a foot, it seems, since I last saw him.  He even is learning how to drive!  My other brother has recently just been engaged!  My younger brother is getting married!  But it was time to go back to work.  Even though I had only missed 2 days in a row I felt like it had been a week!

I had the AM bear shift on Saturday.  As I was walking the fence to check for any holes I was able to get a good view of the wood bison mothers and their calves.  The calves have almost doubled in size since last month when they were born!  The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is the ONLY place in the United States that has a Wood Bison herd.  They are trying to reintroduce wood bison to the wild.  They once roamed the wilds of Alaska before they went extinct. 

It was a really overcast day.  In fact some of the mountains that are usually in sight were hidden by clouds. 


 Patron was laying around all day long.  She finally sat up when it started to get a little busy
 Eventually my four hour shift was over and I finished the last half of a normal day of work. 

On Sunday I was also at the AM bear shift.  Our coyote has finally shed his winter coat.  He looks like a totally different coyote. 

We had a watermelon that was donated with other fruit by costco.  We decided to give it to the bears.  After Joe Boxer picked through it Patron decided she would get the left overs. 


Later, we threw some lemons to our young bull bison.



Snickers got his favorite food....corn!

 Monday was my day off and I went for a hike after luch at the lodge.  I got the same thing I always get.....grilled cheese with sweet potato fries.  We went to Alyeska in Girdwood to hike.  It was the Winner Creek trail.  We hiked an upper and lower trail.  It was a total of about 7 miles of hiking. 


There was also a hand tram that anyone could ride.  They just get in a metal cage to hold themselves and pull the rope to get across.

There was also another small bridge that we crossed.  It had a really nice water fall.  There was also a really gorgeous blue pool to the side of the waterfall.  If it wasn't so darn cold it would look very refreshing to jump into. 




After everyone was off of work we headed back into Girdwood to play some basketball for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment