Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Today, I started my day again with the best 2 moose calves ever!  Gilly and Nelson probably weigh around 60 pounds or so now!  I cannot wait to see how big they are by september. 


Next, I cut up some hamburger meat and headed over to wake up the big bears.  I was stationed at the bears for 3 hours, then I headed in for a quick lunch break. 


I recieved a few more pictures from Doug Lindstrand of me training the cubs...

Shaggy is my favorite animal at the center....but don't tell any of the other animals.....



Taquka was doing his "up" command very well as usual. 



We also cleaned the moose calve enclosure, and then replaced their straw.  Since it has been raining the past couple of days their bedding gets gross really fast.  Later, I ran down to the ticket booth to cover for someone's lunch break.  I definitely like working outdoors much better....even in the rain. 

Around 3:30pm we had a Behind the Scenes Tour.  These tours are a new addition to the center.  Each person pays $100 a piece.  With this, they are able to meet our porcupine up close, feed the moose calves, and also see behind the scenes.  The behind the scenes includes seeing our kitchen where we prepare everything, our Sitka Black tailed deer (which is off exhibit), and even walk behind our bear enclosure.  And, of course, they get a guided walking tour from their very own intern.  Today, I was giving a tour.  The tours last anywhere from 1.5-2hours.  That was basically the last 2 hours of my work day.  Boy, does time really fly when your having fun...I mean working.

Around 9pm or so, when everyone was off of work and back at the center, we loaded up the yukon and went into Girdwood to play a friendly game of ultimate frisbee.  My new favorite sport!  Well I am exhausted.....

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn


No comments:

Post a Comment