Sunday, October 2, 2011

8 months already!

All righty fellow readers.  Sorry I have been slacking lately...however I would like to blame my absence on these 2 hooligans....
  This is Scout
and this is Ginger....

I have been house sitting for the past few days.  when I get home from work they keep me busy.  It has been almost a vacation being able to have a vehicle, quite place to sleep, and just lounge around the town's coffee shop on my time off. 

Here is what has been going on around work...

The past 3 days we have had high tides...in fact one of the tides was the highest in decades!

These next few photos are from the morning of the 28th...it was a 33ft. tide that came in....

This first picture is the bison enclosure completely filled with the tide water.  The bison had already been moved to a different enclosure.


The elk and moose enclosure also gets a lot of the tide.  There is high ground in all the enclosures for the animals.  Even with the tide in it the animals are still ok to get around.  The tide only lasts in the center grounds for an hour or so. 

Jack and Chimo just hanging out till the tide leaves....


This next pics are from the morning of the 30th.  It was only a 32 ft. tide....



Mike, our executive director, moves the bison every morning and evening during the high tides....
 what the pictures don't show is the mess that Jonathan and I have to scoop up the next morning...

NOTE: If one ever needs to shovel bison patties a nice coating of WD40 on the shovel, or any other tool to scoop with, makes the patties slide right off.

Well, I thought I would post this blog before I headed in for a few hours of work at the center.  Of course, it is a very rainy and windy day.  I think I will be doing some indoor projects once the animals are all fed.

All of the photos that were used in this blog were courtesy of Doug Lindstrand.

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment