Saturday, October 8, 2011

Trying out my New Camera

Man!  I had a great day!  I keep thinking that each day is the last sunny day left before it starts raining for good.  It was absolutely gorgeous today!  I know I say that a lot, but today was definitely in my top 10 favorite weather days in Alaska so far.

Mukluk was even up close to the fence so I was able to say hello to her.  Notice that her horns are coming in very nice.  They have grown about 2 inches since we introduced her to the herd.

 I went to feed snickers his grain, carrots, apple, and even turnips.  After the apple slices are gone he goes for the turnips next.  He was very interested in my camera today.
The female elk were running around today.  There was one specifically that would chase the other females away.  Then their boyfriend was following soon after...

 I was in the moose calf enclosure when I got these pics.  He wasn't very happy that I was hanging around his girlfriends.  He kept charging the fence at me.  Eventually, he would buggel when he heard the roosevelt elk from across the center. 
Gilly was being very social today.  They are completely weaned from their bottles now.  Brush is also no longer being cut.  They get about 20 cups of grain each a day.  Once they are fully grown they will be going through a 40 lb. bag of grain every other day!













Hooty and Snappy had 4 mice each for dinner today.  When we feed them the female almost always eats her mice first.  She flys into the log house, while the male hops down on another perch and takes his time.  He usually gulps the first one down, and then holds onto the second one a bit longer. 


These next 2 pictures are my most favorite pictures from today.  After I fed Adonis 6 hooligan I wanted to see what my camera could do.  I was amazed at how detailed the images came out to be.  Eventually I want to be able to capture Adonis with his beak opened. 



 One of my last duties of the day was to feed the big bears.  Our coyote even made an appearance.  This morning I gave him a few hotdogs as a snack.  I am sure he will have some of the left over dog food from tonight once the bears decide to rest.  He is 7 years old and looking very healthy for a coyote.






I don't think I ever explained where the original herd of Wood Bison came from.  Our original herd of 13 originally came from Canada.  Specifically, they came from Elk Island in Alberta.  In order to pay respect for the original herd we have an american flag along with a Canadian flag by the herd of Wood Bison. 

 Since brush is no longer growing we are now giving our herd bales of hay.  We are getting them delivered just about every other week.  In order to keep the bales fresh we must tape up any holes that are in the plastic surrounding the hay.  As I rounded the corner I noticed that we have some taping to do.  Every single one of these hay bales must be checked for holes and taped up if any are found.  So I guess this is another chore to add to my list. ;)
 I noticed that I haven't placed any pictures of Jack or chimo lately on my blog.  Jack is looking very good.  He has completely shed all his velvet and is currently in with 5 male elk. 









Although Chimo may not have as nice a rack as Jack; he is still a very healthy moose.  He is 11 years old and has the typical body of an 11 year old moose.  He has a bit of arthritis and also does not grow his antlers near as much as Jack.  This is expected of a moose that is 11 years old.  Once their bodies get to this age they no longer produce enough testosterone to even grow antlers. 

I went back to Snickers to drop off some broccoli from our garden.
 Last, but certaintly not least, I went to visit Jewelie and give her some water.  I always like visiting Jewelie.  She is the most friendly animal we have at the center.  She is always welcoming any attention she can get. 

She also loves to give kisses!  Jewelie is 7 years old and is doing very well.  I will miss all these wonderful animals when I go to minnesota in 10 days!!!!!

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment