Friday, October 28, 2011

I'm Baaaaaaack!

I am Back from Minnesota!  So much has happened since I have been gone!  First thing is first, I had a wonderful time visiting my boyfriend, Scott, in Minnesota.  We went to an Atmosphere concert, I met his friends from his fraternity, and he showed me around his home town in Shakopee,MN.  It was also homecoming weekend while I was there.  I got to meet up with an old college friend who is going to med school now. The trip went by way too fast.  I feel like I never even left the wildlife center!  I am very excited for the next trip to MN.  Maybe Mall of America next?



The cubs were very playful on the day I headed out to MN.  they are starting to slowly get ready for hibernation.  I notice that they are laying around more and more every day.  The black bears are even more lazier than the cubs.  Uli, the  7 year old female, has already started napping longer and longer.  She will go days before I see her make an appearance.   
Today I headed into town to pick up some last minute party supplies for Halloween.  This is the reason I haven't blogged since I got back from MN.  There is lots of stuff to get together.  On the 30th we are having a free party for kids at the center.  I will be doing a porcupine presentation, there will be a bean bag toss  (done by my awesome roomate Meredith), live Owl presentation, hot dogs, and other fun games.  On the drive back from Anchorage I whipped out my camera to take a few snap shots...don't worry I wasn't driving. 

I always love taking pictures of the skies.  Something about the clouds that I just love....

While we were in town we ran across a mother Moose and her calf.  They almost seem the same size in the picture.  I believe the mother is on the left and the calf is on the right.  They literally ran right through a school parking lot!
 This is how close they were to our car...

How would you like to look out your classroom window and see a moose in the front?
 Or taking a lovely stroll and come across a mama moose!  Do De Do De Do just enjoying this nice lovely weather on a nice stroll......Oh my goodness there is a moose!  I imagine that's what this lady thought below....

The weather lately has attracted lots of bald eagles at the center.  Yesterday I saw 3 just perched in trees in the black bear enclosure alone!   We could be getting snow any day now.  I can't wait!














This picture below is a juvenile Bald Eagle.  They get their white feathers at 5 years old roughly. 

I am hoping the weather is nice tomorrow so that I can get the party stuff together much easier.  Plus, it is always a good reason to take a break and drive around getting pictures to show my blog readers. ;)

Goodnight Lower 48!
Erin

Thanks to Mrs. Rhonda and Mrs. Sharon for reading my blog!

5 comments:

  1. Hi there my name is Kala, I got to the university of alaska and am doing some research about the AWCC. Id love to interview you if so, just by email since that would probably be easiest. If you'd like to please email me at kalaromero@gmail.com

    Thanks, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... does this mean we're "famoose" readers?
    "Mrs. Rhonda"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great trip! I just came back from GA/SC for a family reunion, and yes, it seems like I never left - the trip was just too short.

    Iwas in Alaska 2 years ago & loved the AWCC! I bought some 'Moose Xing Alaska' key rings - one for me, 3 to give away. Mine just broke the other day, and I won't be coming back for years, it seems. I was going to purchase it at the online gift shop, but they want $13 for shipping. :-( ANyway, if you're interested in a Hawaii keychain, I'll trade ya! Let me know - I can get it in the mail in a day or two.
    Aloha,
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aja,
    I would definitly love to send you another keychain! My email is: leighton_erin@yahoo.com
    just send me your address to mail another keychain. I am so glad you loved our center. lots of new changes have happened so if you get the chance to come back please visit! I would love to stay in touch! Any questions please ask!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahalo, Erin - email sent! :-)

    ReplyDelete