Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween has arrived!!!  These past few days leading up to the 30th we were getting ready for our Halloween event here at the center.  For 3 days we have been setting up haybales, streamers, games, and plenty of spider webb for decorations.  This pumpkin on the right was part of a game as well.  I worked the porcupine station.  Snickers, our porcupine was in the old fox cage.  We had pin the quill on the porcupine, and a guessing game to guess how many quills were in a jar....there were 225.    We also had a bean bag toss, scat trail, Guess the animal, and a special guest from Bird TLC did a Great Horned Owl presentation.  All of the employees were excited to dress up. 

My roomate Meredith dressed as a polar bear.  Guess what I was.....











a porcupine!  Don't worry, I didn't smell like snickers.












Jeremy was our hotdog griller....so his costume was perfect.

Jonathan, the other intern that works with me, was Scat Man.  He worked the scat trail.  We made a fake trail lined with 8 different types of Scat.  The kids would walk along the trail and learn how to identfy what animals had been in the area.
  At the end of the night the group that worked the event possed for a group picture.
From left to right: Scat Man, Aaron who wore a german outfit, hotdog guy, a bumblebee, Mike our executive director wore a pink cowgirl hat, Kelly was a witch, and meredith and I are on the bottom row. 


Today I woke up and looked out my window to see 3 imches of snow!!!!  Winter is here!

 I spotted a young bald eagle in a tree.  The snow brought lots of eagles and ravens today looking for food. 









On my way to work I hopped out of the car to watch the cubs play in the snow.  Shaggy had snow all over her face.
 Taquka had dug out a hole and was laying in it.  He finally looked up when I called his name.



The Roosevelt elk was laying next to Jack the moose.  I tried to get a pic with both of them in the picture.  Jack moved before I could get the both of them. 


 I had meredith take a quick picture to show how much snow we had today. By the end of the day we had 6 inches and still counting! 
 At the end of the day I went to give the calves some donated bananas. 

 After I finished I made a drive around the center to check on the big bears.  Unfortunately they were not posing very well.  I did take a few more snap shots to show how white it really. 



I can't wait to wake up and look out my window tomorrow morning!  We are going sledding and building a snow man.  I will do two things tomorrow that I have never done before! 

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pix of the snow & animals - can't wait to see your snowman. :-)

    ReplyDelete