Sunday, April 3, 2011

Surprise Visit!

Where to begin!
On April Fool's Day I had a few tricks up my sleeve.....well at least I thought I did.  Jeremy in the ticket booth called for me and Amelia to come up to the booth and pick something very important up.  I figured he was up to something.  As I rounded the corner I noticed an extra car parked at the booth.  There was a woman standing next to it with a camera.  She has short reddish hair and looks a lot like my mom....wait!  It is my mom!!!!  What? But how did she get here?  I cannot believe she is actually standing in front of me!!


She came to surprise me and is here until tomorrow night.  I am so excited.  So hmmmmm what to do first....

I immediately gave her an exclusive tour around the center.  She was able to meet the famous bear cubs that I am help training.  She also met a few of the other animals....

Jack the moose

Julie the Sitka Black tailed Deer

Snickers the porcupine

Mukluk the musk ox

For lunch we ate at the lodge so that my mom could see the Portage Glacier.
She is actually standing on the lake!

Next, we went and checked in at the hotel Alyeska.  I also had to get ready since the interns and Jordan were volunteering at the Sportsmans Outdoors showcase.  We had to stand at the doors and pass out scavenger hunt cards for 4 hours!  However, I did find a nice pair of cheap Muck rainboots.  My mom was such a trooper for sitting there the whole time waiting patiently.  It made the night go by so much better with her there.  So we ended the night with dinner at the hotel.  We split 3 appetizers and topped it off with a delicious chocolate cake!

Those beds were calling our names!

Yawn.....we started our day with lunch at Jack Sprat.  I had the grilled vegetable sandwich and mom had the eggs benedict.  I then took her to Virgin creek to show her the frozen waterfall.
This creek is definitely one of my favorite places so far!

We went back to the center to load up some photos and visit the animals one last time. 
When I walked into the bunk house I had a package waiting for me.  They were cookies from a place in california that some very good friends from texas had sent to me!  They are so yummy!  They are definitely not going to last very long....
Thanks Jen, Quinn, case, cy, kendra, and Joel!!!
My mom also delivered my favorite hot chocolate from Mrs. Beth Ann!  Thanks best book buddy!  I can't wait to have some in the morning. 

Since the weather was getting a little snowy we headed into anchorage around 4 to run a few errands and grab dinner.  We ate dinner at the Sourdough Mining Company which is where we ate 13 years ago when we visited our cousins that used to live in Anchorage. 

We also walked across the street to the Wild Berry Chocolate store...

I was in Heaven with all the chocolate available! So then we ran all over town left and right to fill in the few hours we had left till my mom had to be at the airport. :(  I did get a SD card for my new GoPro camera that my mom delivered.  I am so excited to use it and yall will be seeing some very cool photos once I get it up and running.....

Well, I am very tired and it has been a busy day and I have another long day tomorrow. 
I would just like to add that I need prayers for my Grandmother.  She is in the hospital and needs strength to pull through. 


Lub ya most Mom!


Goodnight Lower 48,
Erin

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear all about it from your mom. Will pray for your grandma! The kids miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO GLAD YOU GUYS HAD A GREAT Time! Prayers going up for sure for your Grandma! I love you soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of us here at TWHS can't wait to hear all about the trip from your mom! Wasn't that cool of her to just Show UP!! Glad you had some great times. Love seeing all these animals!

    ReplyDelete