Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bottle feedings all day long....


 
This morning, once again, Gilly chugged his 8am bottle.  I think I may be moving him up from 20 oz. to 22 oz. soon. 

Today was definitely going to involve cleaning out Snicker's house.  I went to visit him and decided that it could not go any longer.  I hopped on the four wheeler and went to grab a rake, shovel, fresh straw, and some distraction treats.  I pulled a handful of dandelions and fireweed to give him while I was cleaning out his house.  So, I had him crawl up onto his log and gave him the plants while I raked his enclosure.  Once I was done with the cleaning, and running a few other errands; it was time for another bottle feeding.  Gilly was once again waiting at the gate for his bottle.  And of course he downed the whole bottle....again!  It probably takes about 5 seconds for him to drink the whole bottle.

As soon as I was done with the bottle feeding it was my turn to hang out at the big bear enclosure.  I was hanging around, and talking to people for about 3 hours.

 Patron was out and about in the afternoon.  Patron and Hugo sort of look the same.  However, Patron is a bit bigger and has a diamond shaped indention on her forehead.
This is Hugo.  Notice no indention on her head....Also, she is a grizzly bear.  Grizzly bears have more distinct humps since they come from interior parts of Alaska.  There are no salmon or fish available so they do a lot more digging than the coastal brown bears.

Who is this?  It is Hugo....

Finally, Joe Boxer decided to wake up and come out to play with his sister, Patron.
                                                                                  Joe Boxer...he weighs in at about 1,100 pounds.

 Now you should get this one.......look at the forehead.....can you figure out who it is?

Patron.....
She decided to go mess around with Joe Boxer.  Patron sort of has a Napoleon Complex.  She is only about 75 pounds or so heavier than Hugo.  She picks on Hugo a lot.


Then, what do ya know, it was almost time for another bottle!  Hmmmmm......I wonder if he is going to drink his bottle?  Yup!  He chugged the whole thing. 

Jordan did not come into work today so he asked me if I could feed the cubs.  Is that even a question?  Of course I want to feed bear cubs!  I was excited to go visit my two favorite animals at the center. 






Well, it is almost midnight and I have to go make another bottle.

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn






No comments:

Post a Comment