Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rain but no Mosquitos

Well, it was another rainy day in Portage but there were no mosquitos.  I am happy with whatever weather we have if it doesn't involve mosquitos!

I started my day off by feeding the moose calf at 6:30am.  From now on I am just going to refer to him as Gilly.  We, the interns, have been calling him that anyways.  He is doing really well.  In fact, we have increased his bottle from 14 oz. to 16 oz. today!  He is taking everything really well.  I am very excited to watch him grow. 


After I finished getting ready for work I was off to the kitchen around 8:15am.  I like to start my day off with a little jamming out to the ipod while cleaning in the kitchen. 

I was scheduled for AM bears; which means I walk the fence to make sure they didn't do any digging over night.  I also have to hang around for a few hours before someone takes over for me.  We try to keep an intern posted at the bear exhibit at all times.  The big bear enclosure is out of sight from the other enclosures.  We just want to make sure that no one is trying to climb any fences or bother the bears.  Hugo decided to take a little nap in the rainy weather.


Once I was able to leave the bear enclosure; I went to feed the cubs.  We have recently added new things in their enclosure so that they can climb and search for their food as an enrichment.  We want to continuosly make them think. 

Taquka was climbing this culvert that is covered by logs. 


We also like to have them climb through the culvert.




After the bears were fed we stopped to visit the reindeer. We decided to hang around and give them some grass. 


Later, I would end the night with a trip to Anchorage for a sushi dinner and head to bed.  I have ANOTHER day off tomorrow.  I have no idea what I am going to do!  I think it is supposed to rain all week.  This might mean I will be playing on my computer all day....hmmmmmm....

Well, you know what comes next....

No comments:

Post a Comment