Saturday, June 11, 2011

We are now feeding Gilly at 8AM instead of 6:30AM so that is a nice extra hour of sleep.  Gilly is doing very well.  He even had his bottle dosage upped today from 16oz to 18oz.  We also introduced willow branches to him.  I will try to remember to get some good pictures of him tomorrow. 

Saturdays are one of our busier days.  We were expecting about 15-20 tour buses.  I ended up doing about 3 of them.  I enjoy the buses because I am always meeting new people. 

We also have some new arrivals at the center...

Ducks! We will be raising them for a while until they are old enough to be released at the center.  They will eventually migrate with the other ducks when it is time. 


After the morning feeding it was off to start the daily chores.  Now that all the other interns are here I only have to feed Snickers, the porcupine.  So I did prepare his meal, and then the tour buses arrived.
When I wasn't busy giving a tour I did other things in between buses.  Kristen, the lead intern,  and I cleaned out the moose calf trailer.  When we first received the calves we kept them in a trailer.  This was because it is very easy to keep it a sterile enviroment.  We had the trailer divided by a door into two seperate compartments.  We had a calf on each side.  We also don't want to put them together right away in case they are sick.  Once their tests come back negative we are able to put them together.  As soon as Nelson's tests, the new moose calf, come back negative he will be placed with Gilly. 

The day started off very drizzly and cloudy but by 5:00pm it looked like this...



Not a bad way to end the day....

1 comment: