Monday, June 13, 2011

Portage Pass and the Lazy Otter

Here are a few videos that I should have added to the blog last night...I was just really tired.

Hugo was out and about all day....yesterday






Even though it is my day off there is always something work related that needs to be done.  I started my day off by feeding Gilly his 18oz bottle.  How can anyone call feeding a baby moose work?  First of all, it literally takes about 3 seconds for him to chug the entire bottle.  Second, feeding a baby moose; come on how cool is that!  Who wouldn't want to feed a baby moose!  So after he took his bottle I did a little Father's Day shopping in the gift store. 

We headed to Girdwood to mail a few things and stop at the mercantile.  Around noonish we were making our way to Whittier.  In order to get to whittier you have to pay $12 for the car to go through the whittier tunnel.  The tunnel is about 2.5 miles long.  Even if you live/work in the town you have to pay to use the tunnel!  We were going to hike Portage Pass.  It is about a mile and half hike that comes over the mountains over looking the Portage Glacier while you are actually standing in Whittier. 



This is the view behind us as we are hiking up Portage Pass trail.  The water to the right is the bay in the town of Whittier.

And Ta Da!  Portage Glacier.  I posted pictures in a previous post when we went on the Portage Glacier cruise that took us right up to the Glacier itself.  Glaciers are receding very quickly.  This whole valley once used to be one big Glacier!  Thus, this is how Portage Lake was formed.  The Glacier receded enough to form a Lake as it goes further back.  The ice that calves off of the glacier that forms icebergs take about 500 years to reach the front of the glacier. 





As we were admiring the scenery a couple of hikers also were viewing the Glacier.  They offered to take a picture of our group.  It is nice to always have something to do on my day off.  Especially since I am an intern I am always looking for fun that is cheap or free!  Living in Alaska is the place to be for adventures. 

I am trying to learn about the differnts plants and flowers that grow in the area.  At first glance I thought that this looked like a Bluebonnet....silly me....I forget that I am in Alaska sometimes.  This flower is called Lupine.  These are able to actually fix nitrogen from the atmosphere into ammonia.  This helps fertilize the soil for other plants.  Bears like to eat the roots.     

This flower is Salmonberry

Here is Bunchberry.  They will produce bright, red berries in a tight cluster. 

After the hike we stopped in at the Lazy Otter which is the local coffee joint.  I was also doing some research on finding things for my family to do when they get here in 13 days!  (but who's counting right?) 

So after the coffee break we hopped in the car to make the 3:15 tunnel time.  The tunnel is only a one way.  So that means that every other hour it is open to go into Whittier and the other hours are open to leave.  We either had to make it to the tunnel in 5 minutes or we would wait around for another hour.  We made it in time to headback to the center.  I think I will enjoy cathing up on some movie time tonight in the barn with the other interns and employes. 

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn 

No comments:

Post a Comment