Sunday, June 5, 2011

Weekend Off

This past Saturday was the first saturday I have had no work on since I arrived in Alaska.  I almost felt guilty hearing all the tour buses rolling in and not having to jump right on them.  Well, I didn't really feel that guilty for very long. I did have the moose calf feeding at the usual 6:30 am time.  I really enjoy getting to start off my day doing what I love to best; care for animals.  Gilly is doing very well.  He is almost always gulping down his bottles in seconds!  When we first get the moose calves they are not on viewing for the visitors at the center.  Even though we tell people not to pet or feed our animlas, sometimes they just can't help themselves.  In order to prevent the moose calves from catching any illnesses we make sure they are old enough to have a stronger immune system.  Even now as we feed Gilly 6 times a day we have to bleach our shoes before and after we go into the trailer to feed him.  Also, we have to wear the exact same clothing, and that clothing can not go in with any other animals.  Last, for now, only interns are allowed to feed Gilly.  Now, onto the rest of the days events.   After waking up around noon I walked down to the center's kitchen to make sure snickers has been fed.  Once the summer really gets going each intern is in charge of a specific animal.  I am now in charge of snickers.  Amelia had already fed him. 

I was asked if I wanted to go hiking around 4 with 2 other roomates.  Remember Virgin Creek?  We went up that same trail, but this time we went all the way to the top!  It was a straight incline almost the whole way!  I felt very out of shape.  The hike was well worth the scenery that we saw from the top.


To the left is the turnagain arm.  The town of Girdwood is below us.







No comments:

Post a Comment