Tuesday, June 7, 2011

When Life Gives you Lemons feed them to the bears

I woke up to another rainy day in Portgae.  But....there were no mosquitos!  After feeding Gilly, the moose calf, I got ready for work.  I was the AM shift for the bears.  The reason why I have a weird blog title for tonight is because, we were throwing fruit to the big bears and it is always funny to see how they react when they bite into a lemon.  Patron, the female Coastal brown bear, knew better and waited for her brother to take the first bite.  Two hours later, I went back to work and prepared Snicker's diet.  Speaking of Snickers; we are getting ready to start the porcupine programs up again with him.  Me and another intern will be going every Wednesday to Cooper Landing.  I think it is about an hour drive or so.  Since the programs are about to begin I have been making more paper maches to use as enrichment.  I always think they are a fun rainy day project.

I was also feeding the bear cubs for today.  Sarah, the new intern, went in with me on the second time.  She was able to get some good pics of the cubs.  This is Sarah's second summer as an intern at the AWCC.  Amelia, who has been my P.I.C. (Partner in crime) for the past 2 and a half months went back home to Ohio since her internship ended.  It is weird to see people come and go.  The summer is just beginning.  The grass is growing in and the flowers are starting to bloom. 














After work we went to collect brush for the animals.  The moose especially need lots of willow in their diet.  We also give the elk, porcupine, musk ox, and Sitka Black Tailed Deer amounts of brush.  I gave Snickers some willow.  Sarah gave Jewelie alder and willow. 





Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment