Monday, June 13, 2011

Gorgeous day AGAIN!  I keep thinking that it is going to somehow turn into a yucky, rainy, or mosquito infested day.  Today may have been one of the prettiest days yet!






First thing to do today was work the 9AM-1PM shift over at the bears.  This means I have to walk the 18 acre enclosure and make sure there are no fresh holes being dug.  I also have to check the electric fence and make sure it is working....for obvious reasons.  Last, I have to make sure that the bears are awake.   I have to admit that it was like pulling teeth this morning when I was trying to wake them up.  However, once they smelled the hotdogs that I had waiting for them it didn't take much longer.  Hugo was the first to arrive. 







Don't worry, there are no more residents in this cabin.....(There never were)



Later, Joe Boxer woke up, but I never did see Patron until the end of the day.




  I was able to leave the standing post at the bears and go feed Gilly, the moose calf.  He only took half of his bottle today because we introduced fire weed  to him.  He was chowing down on it!  So, naturally he won't be hungry enough to take the whole bottle.  After I gave him his bottle, I changed the water bowl and bleach bucket.  We have to make sure there is always fresh water available for our calves.  We also use bleach and water to scrub down our shoes every time we enter and exit the calf enclosure.  This is to help prevent any illnesses or parasites to be transmitted to our animals.   




We now help out in the tickt booth if it gets crazy busy in the afternoon.  Before I took my lunch break, I worked about an hour in the ticket booth. 

Around 4 pm or so when I only had a few chores left that I wanted to do I was asked to give a tour to a few igh school student.  So, an hour and a half later I was finishing up the tour and calling it a day.

SIKE! 
Just when I thought I was done Vanessa, another intern, asked if I would like to give a tour with her.  We were going to be specifically talking about the porcupine, Snickers.  There where a few peopl from Minnesota visiting that needed a good picture for a children's book they are writing.  They are writing a book about Hugo, our grizzly, and how she was quilled by a porcupine as a cub. 
The tour went well, and then I called it a day. 

Tomorrow is another day off and we are going to Whittier for a hike!  Can't wait to post more pictures!

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment