Friday, June 3, 2011

First thing is first, here is the black bear pictures that we got last week.  This is the same avalanche shoot that we ride past a few times a week on our bike rides.

Yesterday, wednesday, was an overcast and windy day.  There were no mosquitoes!  It was so nice.  I was watching the bears play for a bit.  Hugo and Joe Boxer were very playful.









Later, Jordan asked me to feed the cubs for him.  I was very excited since I am not going in with them every day since it is getting busier around the center.  In just the past week of watching them they seem to have gotten so much bigger.  Vanessa went in with me.  Vanessa has been here for 4 summers now!  She is the intern that raised Jack the moose. 

We helped out with the gravel flattening for the future intern housing and Animal Shelter. 
It was awesome.  This machine is called the tamper. 


After work a few of us went for a bike ride to Portage Glacier.  We were not sure if we were going to get rained on. 

The icebergs are drifting from the glacier to the end of the lake.

 


We always stop by at Moose Flats on the way home to see if we can spot any moose.  We did see a female moose. 


   The scenery is still breath taking!  I am constantly amazed at the beauty the Alaska has to offer! 

Thursday was my day off.  Hmmmmmmm what I am going to do today? 
Laundry-check
clean room-check
read bible-check
collect brush for the animals-check

Alright now what? 
I decided to go to Girdwood to visit one of my favorite spots....Virgin Creek!



The creek has completely melted and the trails are clear of ice.  It was very nice since I didn't have to worry about slipping on ice.


This plant is devil's club.  It grows every where around the trails.  If you where to accidentally grab this it has spur like things that will embed themselves like splinters.


These are fiddle heads.  They are actully edible.  I tried them just after picking them....not so good.  However, I did collect a few extra to pan fry.  They were delicious!  I added garlic and tony cacheres and all the roomates even enjoyed them. 



Driving home I couldn't help but share this scenery with my blog followers.  It was so beautiful.  The sun was on the tops of the mountains.




It is midnight and the sun is going down so I guess that is my cue to start to go to bed.  I do have to feed the moose calve at 6:30am; so maybe I should get some rest.

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn





No comments:

Post a Comment