Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I got to start my day off by waking up to this....


He is a very curious moose calf...


 and a very hungry one as well.

 

 I had the AM shift for the bears.  The first thing we always have to do is walk the 18 acre perimeter to make sure that the bears are not digging any holes close to the fence. 

Joe Boxer is on the left and Patron is on the right.  I called them out and rewarded them with pieces of hotdogs and hamburgers.

Hotdogs are their favorite food!
 Joe Boxer always sits up when he is waiting for us to give him a treat

 

Joe Boxer was getting tired of waiting.  We do not feed them every time they are sitting in front of us.  If we did that they would just sit all day, instead of acting like bears.  We do not want them to start the habit of begging for food in a way.









Tuesdays are one of the slowest days of the week.  After I was done working at the bears I went to visit Mukluk.  I also let her play with her new ball....the basketball!


Snickers had a gourmet meal today....


 

The baby moose calf needed to be fed again.  He gets fed about 5 times a day right now.  We have a mixture that we prepare for him at every bottle feeding.  He is getting 12 oz at every feeding for now.  Once he gets into the routine of taking every bottle at every feeding we will up his amount to 14oz.

Towards the end of the day I cleaned Julie's (Sitka Black Tailed Deer) enclosure. 

The lack of sleep that I have been getting due to longer days has finally caught up with me.  I am exhausted.  But it is a good kind of exhausted.  Istill feel like I am on vacation.  Every day I go to work loving my job and love working with the animals.  I can not imagine doing anything else.

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment