Monday, May 30, 2011

A very busy day

Today started off to a nice and slow move ino the day.  I was up and ready to go at 8am before the the visitors really started to pour.  I prepared the diets, woke up the bears with hotdogs, and had my daily rockstar (energy drink).  There weren't any tour buses in today which was nice since there where only 3 interns working.  I was able to feed the moose calf at 10:15.  He was still pretty full from his breakfast.  He is taking his bottles well.  Doug, the AWCC's photographer, was around late rto get some really cute pics of a few interns.

I was at the ticket booth helping out during this particular feeding session.

Our 2 musk ox males where doing their thing later and knocking each other around.....
You notice their quivit which is the layer of fur that is shedding.  This is 8 times warmer than wool and softer thn cashmere.  Only the natives are actually allowed to harvest quivit.  Musk ox actually went extinct in alaska in 1865 from hunting.  They have made a comeback now, but are still protected in the wild. 

The bison bulls are also looking very handsome...
   I will make sure and get some pics of me with the moose calf very soon!  Well, I just got back from a 12 mile bike ride and am exhausted!  I better get some sleep since I have another long work day aead of me.

Goodnight Lower 48,
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment