Sunday, March 20, 2011

Here is a pic of one of the moose I saw 2 nights ago....

so yesterday (Saturday) was a busy day with visitors.  We trained the bears in the morning and it went great.  We are trying to get the cubs more and more seperated from each other as we are training them.  They are realizing finally realizing which one of us trains each of them.  Jordan works with the male (Taquoka) and I work with the female (Shaguyik).  We just call the female shaggy....it's just easier. 

So then we stopped by the barn to visit Abi's birthday party.  She is the owners' daughter.  She turned 4. 

So we went back to the cub enclosure and cleaned it up a bit.....
Then we decided to do another training session with them.  I was so excited becasue Shaggy learned her first command from me.  Most of the time the commands that we teach them, are just captured to begin with.  For example, I saw shaggy sitting onher hind legs and as soon as she did this I said "Up" and immediately rewarded her with a grape.  She did this numerous times after that.  It was a good feeling to see that she is making progress after just a month of being here. 

This is Taquoka on his hind legs.....

  We also put their old crates in the enclosure for them to play with.  We want them to be comfortable with these since they will go to Sweden in similar crates when the leave in about a year.   They will live their lives out at a bear park similar to the AWCC.  They are unrelated and will not be breed.  Since Kodiac Bears are not a threatened bear there is no need to breed them in captivity.  It is also hard enough finding room for bears in captivity.  They can not be re-released since they missed out on learning fital skills from their mothers.  They would also probably become a dangerous bear since they are associated with humans now. 
 We place food around their crate to get them more comfortable with it.  Shaggy pushed this crate aroun all day long. 
  Later I placed a bowling ball in with mukluk to see if she would play with it like the other orange ball.  It was really icy so there really wasn't much to video. 

Then at the end of the night Kat and Jeremy (2 roomates) made a bet that if Syracuse gets to the final four he has to take us out to dinner....
  Also, I wanted to let my faithful readers know that my wonderful mom ordered me a Gopro head camera.  I will be able to wear this camera on my head as I do things like training with the cubs, play with the animals, or even ski....so once I get that camera you should be expecting some awesome videos!
Thanks again mom! (Lub ya most!)
Goodnight lower 48
EriN

No comments:

Post a Comment