Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Past 3 Days

Ok sorry I have been MIA; the past three days have been really busy.  So 2 days ago was a normal work day.  I did somehow manage to go running in th emorning.  It was a gorgeous day....

Later, we went to downtown anchorage to listen to a band play that night.  After walking around everywhere we decided to eat at Uncle Joe's Pizza place.  I had a chicken euro for the first time and I loved it. 
After the band was finished playing we headed home for the night.

So yesterday I knew that Mukluk needed some attention.  She was brought to the center after her mother was killed by a bear.  It happened on a camp named mukluk. 
I cleaned out Mukluk's (baby musk ox) bedding.  It took a whole bale of hay to replace the old straw.  She was loving the wheel barrow.  She only knocked the wheel barrow over twice, and of course it was completely full!  Here is a few Musk ox facts:
they were almost hunted to extinction in alaska.  They get up to bout 800 pounds.  The horns are 4 inches thick on their head, with an additional 3 inches of skull to protect them.  This is needed since they hit things head on ...literally.  When the males are in rut you can hear the banging of their heads up to a mile away. 
Anyways so last night we headed to Girdwood for another band that was playing.  The band was called the punch brothers and I really liked this music.
Today (day 3) we all needed to be up extra early since we had a tour coming in at 9:30.  We open at 10 usually.  The tour was a group of highschool students from canada that were headed to Japan for spring Break.....hmmmm wonder why it was canceled.  They were really funny to watch in the gift store when they were checking out.  They were all trying to get rid of their one dollar bills.  They kept saying how they hate american money and it's all the same color.  Which I thought was interesting since they have the queen of England on their money bills.

We just got a fresh pallet of donated food from costco so I went and rummaged through that.  I filled the bucket with pears, cantaloupe, and oranges, lemons, and grapefruits.  So I made my rounds and threw some pears to the musk ox, cantaloupe to the bears, lemons and grapefruits to the moose (they love citrus fruits), and to end the day I gave mukluk a papaya.  Here are a few pics of the center...

this is the intern/employee housing
and this is the drive into the center...


Taquoka says "Goodnight lower 48"

No comments:

Post a Comment