Monday, February 7, 2011

Cleaning Outdoors 101 in Alaska

Ok so today we would usually feed the cubs first thing; However, Jordan called in today and something in his car was frozen so he was not able to make it in to work today.  So I just asked Matt to go in with me as I fed them.

Everything went smooth.  Matt also asked if anyone had shown me how to use the four wheeler. 
He explained everything to me and said I could use it whenever I needed it!  So naturally I went four wheeling right after he showed me....don't worry it was all for the animals....
I went exploring and even saw 2 bald eagles perched in a tree.  I still cannot get over the wildlife that I see everyday!

Later, I decided that chicken coop needed cleaning badly!  Well I figured out why no one has cleaned it in a while....
You see up in Alaska it is a little chilly, so the ground tends to freeze.  Rakes do not really work up here.  I grabbed the rake and as soon as I tried using it I quickly learned that even the hay is frozen in one big lump.
So I then took a little shovel to the ground and started jabbing the ground to pry the nastiness up. 
So eventually I figured out the technique, after 2 or 3 different tools. 
In the end there should be 6 happy chickens in that coop!  Also, I was told that I can take any eggs that I want.  The chickens don't really lay that many eggs but, boy when they do those are some good eggs!  So guess what's for dinner tonight....2 eggs maybe I will make another fried egg sandwhich...mmmmmm

Other than that just the typical tasks of feeding Adonis (Bald Eagle) salmon, and the 2 owls a couple of rats....yummy I know...

Anyways until tomorrow the Lower 48.....
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment