Friday, February 11, 2011

Finally some real Alaskan weather!

When I wake up, the first thing I always do is take a peak out my window....I can tell right away that today is going to be the coldest day I have experienced so far.  The trees are blowing, and it is snowing harder that I have ever seen!  The temperature is 15 degrees and it is only going to get colder as the day goes on. 

I hopp on the four wheeler and drive away to start my daily tasks.  Well this is the hard part since I don't yet have goggles and I am driving directly into the wind and snow!  Luckily one of my roomates let me borrow his.  The good thing about taking care of native alaskan animals is that when it snows this much you don't even need to re-fill their water bowls.  They actually prefer to eat the snow over the water anyways.  So that is nice about today.  So I have prepared the daily diets.   Also, I think I will give the Bald eagle extra salmon today since it is colder.  He has a wing amputated which makes keeping his body heat harder to maintain.  They actually do not save bald eagles anymore that have wing problems for that very reason.  So by feeding him more, this helps keep his metabolim active and blood flowing.



Ok next, Jordan wants to go in and feed the bears.  He also wants to set up some different things that they can play with.  For instance, he brought blue crates that we would hang from rope so that they can play with them.  We will also try makeing a box by putting two of them together.  This way we can place objects inside the crates to shake and play with.   So we get out there and soon relize that today was probably the worst day to try and set things up.  Our faces and hands are freezing as soon as we get out there!  So very quickly we decide that we will set up on another day. 

Today will probably be a day where I get a lot of computer work done.

Later, I am asked if I would like to go eat lunch at The Lodge so me and three other people jump in the yukon and head over there.  I am so excited because they have WAFFLE FRIES!!!!!! I have not been able to have chic-fil-a since I have been here.  So to be able to have waffle fries is like getting part of my chic-fil-a craving filled.  We pull up...and they are closed!!!! So that gets rid of the one option besides eating from my fridge.

Anyways, at least I saved some money this way.  Because, we have been having a blizzard all day....(not the dairy queen kind the actual weather kind) I decided to see if the store needed some help.  I did learn how to fold shirts and put the price tags on.  Yeah, I like working outside much better!

Alrighty, it is time for me to hopp on my four wheeler and call it a day....
goodnight lower 48
ErIn

No comments:

Post a Comment